GSM VS. CDMA Phones

GSM VS. CDMA Phones

Postby Ronmelton3 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:43 am

How can I tell which phones have a SIM card and are thus GSM, as opposed to the CDMA phones. I live in an area where the CDMA picks up better, but recently bought a GSM Samsung R451 that I hate. I damaged my Samsung Finese and switched to the R451 as I didn't have another $360 to get another Finese. I thought that it was the phones as I started dropping calls and having "no service" in my home. Later I was told that my new phone is a GSM and uses different towers. I want to renew my service buy will not do so with the phones that use the AT&T network. Please tell me which phones are CDMA. Thank You.
Ronmelton3

Re: GSM VS. CDMA Phones

Postby Jessica_ST » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:45 am

Good day, Ronmelton3. My name is Jessica Straight Talk and I'll be addressing your question. Visit this link: http://tinyurl.com/24f79gr and you will be able to see the different phone models of Straight Talk and those phones ending with C are CDMA phones. I believe this answers your question. It's been a pleasure helping you. Have a good day.
Jessica_ST

Postby jane3166 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:05 am

I am planning on switching from AT&T soon. I would like the Nokia E71. But it does not end with a C or a G. So which tower does it use? I want a smart phone that uses Verizon towers. Thanks, Jane Norman
jane3166

Postby Stephanie_ST » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Jane. My name is Straight Talk Stephanie and I will be addressing your question. The Nokia E71 is a GSM phone model and it ends with a "G". It uses either AT&T or T-Mobile once activated. I believe this answers your question. It's been a pleasure helping you. Have a good day.
Stephanie_ST

Postby jane3166 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:43 am

What about the Nokia 6790? What towers does it use? Jane Norman
jane3166

Postby Stephanie_ST » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:51 am

Hi Jane. It is also a smartphone and a GSM phone. The phone also ends with a "G" and uses either AT&T or T-Mobile network. I believe this answers your question. It's been a pleasure helping you. Have a good day.
Stephanie_ST

Postby globegal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 am

I live in a rural area. According to our zip code, GSM phones are not sold in our area. Does this mean that they will not work here at all? Also, At&t is moving into our area. They are buying out the Alltel network here. Will GSM phones be sold here then? (Zip code 85501) Thanks
globegal

Postby Shelly_ST » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi globegal. My name is Straight Talk Shelly. As I checked your zip code it shows that only CDMA phone technology will work in your area or those phones that are powered by Verizon Network. GSM phone technology is not available on this area, if/when new phone technology will be introduced, it will be posted. Please visit our website atwww.straighttalk.com for more updates and news. Thank you.
Shelly_ST

Return to Links to Straight Talk service area map and discussions about coverage.