text messages from ST

text messages from ST

Postby awc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm a new ST customer as of today. My first real complaint is that I continue to get a text message from ST (# is 55330) over and over and over. I am hoping it will stop eventually, but maybe there is something I need to do to make it stop, I don't know. The message reads:

Straight Talk Msg: To update your settings on an Android device, please visit http://bit.ly/st_apn!

First of all, that URL is broken. The reason it is broken is the trailing exclamation point. That should be removed from the URL. Once you remove that, the bit.ly service redirects you to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tracfone.straighttalk.stdatasettings which is a nice little Android app that helps you set up your APN. This worked great. Previously I followed the instructions given to me at activation time and everything seemed to work great except for MMS. Following the instructions on the app actually fixed that (the activation instructions left out the "APN Type" info).

Regardless, the most important thing to me here is that these text messages stop coming to my phone, so how can we make that happen? But hopefully someone at ST can take up the other issues (with insufficient APN data being handed out and the superfluous exclamation point) too. Thanks!
awc

Re: text messages from ST

Postby Jennifer_ST » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Hi awc. My name is Straight Talk Jennifer. Sorry that you’re having a problem. Please check your forum inbox for a private message. Thank you.
Jennifer_ST

Postby dcg9381 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:15 pm

I got a SMS with an "restart your phone" SMS at 1am today.
Phone support told me it was an error and that they'd "report it" to "another department".
Chat support told me that it was working as designed and that there was no control over when updates went out. Expect more SMS's in the middle of the night in the future.

There is another type: The marketing SMS. IF you're getting these, respond with "stop" (no quotes) to the text. This will take you out of their list.

It seems that the reps here exist to send you a PM that tells you to call or chat. Why they are here, I really don't know - I don't see them solve problems in public.. I'll save my suspicions on why.

In regard to getting outbound SMS to work - you need to update your APN settings to match your SIM card. Have you done that? Also, if they can't get it to work, try another sim ordered from ST directly, just don't expect a refund.
dcg9381

Postby Crow13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:25 pm

I get these texts over and over too. How can I get them to stop? Just like the original post. Can any one help?
Crow13

Postby Crow13 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:27 pm

I get these texts over and over too. How can I get them to stop? Just like the original post. Can any one help?
Crow13

Postby ST - Larry » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Crow13. We need to take this issue offline so we can address it further. We will contact you directly with a private message. Thank you.
ST - Larry

Postby Crow13 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:54 pm

ST_Katie was no help. She said there was nothing she could do. I tried to get her to open a ticket but she refused because she didn't know if it was a problem on their end or the network side. So it looks like nothing will get done.
Crow13

Postby bates » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:48 pm

I activated with ST today and am having the same issue as the OP - keep getting this same message over and over again to update settings on an Android device; using and iPhone so it doesn't even apply to me. How can I get this to stop?
bates

Postby Sophie_ST » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:44 am

Hi bates. My name is Straight Talk Sophie. I’ve sent you a private message; please check your inbox. Thanks.
Sophie_ST

Postby Jeffmac88 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:49 pm

I have been having the same problem. I get a text every 30 minutes. I called and they said they would fix it that was 4 hours ago. Still didn't work. I will have to call again. It is so annoying to get these texts every 30 minute.
Jeffmac88

Next

Return to Making the transition to Straight Talk prepaid
no-contract service. Want to keep your number from your old provider? Learn how, here.