another "no data or MMS on iPhone 5" discussion

another "no data or MMS on iPhone 5" discussion

Postby rodshere » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm

A LOT of other people are having cellular data service and MMS messaging problems on their brand-new official CDMA Straight Talk iPhone 5.

I bought one in-store over a week ago ... At the checkout, the cashier actually unwrapped the iPhone, took it out of the box, and then connected it to their PC with iTunes and did some sort of setup to it.

Then, I brought it home and did the normal setup, and everything seemed fine until I tried cellular data service and MMS messaging - neither are working.

Went back to a different Walmart, and they said that the cashier I bought it from wasn't suppose to open the box and do any sort of setup to the iPhone - no Walmarts are allowed to do that ... another cashier said that the carrier in the iPhone was wrong - the iPhone says TFW 14.0, and this cashier said it's suppose to be TFW 13.1 ... another cashier said that the "VPN number" was wrong ...

Also tried ST online support, and this is the transcript from the LiveHelp session:
> 3:04:13 PM You wrote: Hello. I am not receiving any cellular data service or MMS messages on my new iPhone. I think it might have something to do with the carrier which is set to TFW 14.
> 3:04:34 PM Hayley: Good day! Thank you for visiting Straight Talk Wireless. I would be happy to assist you today. May I have your Straight Talk phone number?
> 3:04:53 PM You wrote: XXXXXXX
> 3:05:15 PM Hayley: Thank you. Please allow me a moment as I check your account.
> 3:10:24 PM Hayley: Thank you for waiting. Before I provide you with the information on your account, I need to ask the security question on your account. XXXXXXX?
> 3:10:35 PM You wrote: XXXXXXX
> 3:11:24 PM Hayley: Please dial *22890. Once the phone has been programmed, please access your browser.
> 3:12:08 PM You wrote: Does wifi need to to be turned on since I don't have cellular data service?
> 3:12:44 PM Hayley: No. Please turned off the Wi-Fi.
> 3:12:56 PM You wrote: okay, wifi is turned off, and will dial the number
> 3:13:08 PM Hayley: Thank you, Rodney.
> 3:13:38 PM You wrote: it said "welcome ... please hold ... airtime free."
> 3:13:48 PM You wrote: *background music*
> 3:14:02 PM You wrote: and said it's programmed successfully
> 3:14:22 PM You wrote: accessing browser
> 3:14:50 PM Hayley: Please let me know if you encountered an error message.
> 3:15:33 PM You wrote: and a window just popped up and says "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."
> 3:16:07 PM Hayley: I see. Please allow me a moment as I check your account.
> 3:19:18 PM Hayley: Thank you for waiting. Does your phone displays "TFW"?
> 3:21:07 PM You wrote: Hello, yes it says "TFW 3G" in the upper left hand corner, and under Settings > General > About > it says the Carrier is TFW 14.0
> 3:22:00 PM Hayley: I see. When you tap them "Carrier," does it give you an option?
> 3:23:58 PM You wrote: In Settings > General > About, when I tap on Carrier, it changes and shows the PRL number, and then ERI, and then NAI, and then MSID, and then starts back again at Carrier.
> 3:24:51 PM Hayley: Alright, Rodney. I need to check again your account.
> 3:29:33 PM Hayley: Thank you for waiting. Can you dial again the *22890?
> 3:29:51 PM You wrote: okay, will dial the number
> 3:30:18 PM Hayley: Thank you.
> 3:30:24 PM You wrote: says "welcome ... please hold ... airtime free."
> 3:30:31 PM You wrote: *background music*
> 3:31:07 PM You wrote: and said "your phone has been programmed successfully."
> 3:32:09 PM Hayley: One moment please...
> 3:32:16 PM Hayley: Good. Can you access again the browser?
> 3:32:31 PM You wrote: yes, will open again
> 3:33:07 PM Hayley: Please let me know if you still have the same error message.
> 3:33:37 PM You wrote: and received the same message as before: "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."
> 3:34:39 PM Hayley: One moment please...
> 3:34:47 PM Hayley: I'm sorry to know that. In this case, we will need to speak with you directly for us further investigate the issue. Please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-888-251-8164. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.
> 3:36:40 PM You wrote: okay, thank you
> 3:37:00 PM Hayley: You are welcome. Thank you for chatting Straight Talk Wireless.

So basically, when I try to use cellular data service, I get the message "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."

Finally, I called for help ... twice ... The first time, the person had me connect the iPhone to my computer using iTunes to set it up - she said that after it was restored, I was suppose to get a message saying something about there being no SIM card, and then a new window was suppose to pop up. That didn't happen, it was just stuck at the "no SIM card screen" with a little lock in the upper right hand corner. The next phone call just had me do the same stuff that the online support had me do ... and still no cellular data service or MMS messaging.

So, everyone just has me do the same thing ... restore phone, do setup process, turn off then on, dial *22890 ... nothing is working.

Does anyone actually know how to solve this problem???
rodshere

Re: another "no data or MMS on iPhone 5" discussion

Postby jimmiesmith » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:45 pm

I did not have any data problems but came across a MMS problem. As someone who used the BYOP micro sim for an iPhone 4S, I was familiar with "tricking" the iPhone to allow me to access APN settings, etc.

I cut down an old AT&T sim I had to nano size by using a the iPhone 5 sim tray as a guide, a knife to cut and patience. When he sim was the right size, I put it in the iPhone. It then recognized it and starting searching for service. I went to settings> general>cellular and saw that the option to turn LTE on and have a personal hotspot appeared. I popped out the sim, removed from tray and put empty tray back in. Message for no sim popped up, accepted the notification and then the phone got back on TFW 3G. I tried sending a MMS and it worked!

If you can get a sim from a GSM carrier ( AT&T or T-mobile) give it a shot.
jimmiesmith

Postby rodshere » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:55 pm

This is an official CDMA Straight Talk iPhone 5 ... GSM SIM card tricks won't work.
rodshere

Postby rodshere » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm

I should also note that in the last phone call, the ST customer service rep said to allow "72 hours" for whatever to process ... well, it's been over a week now - well over 120 hours!
rodshere

Postby jimmiesmith » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 pm

WooHoo an "official" CDMA iPhone 5. You mean the exact same one I bought at Walmart and activated online by myself using Straight talk's website. The same CDMA phone that works on Verizon MVNO. The same CDMA phone that fell for a GSM sim trick that you say doesn't work. Because if you knew anything about the CDMA iPhone 5 that Walmart sells and Straight talk activates, you would know it is unlocked. Therefore, it will recognize and activate on a GSM network.

Anyway, the SIM card trick did work and don't make stupid comments when people are looking for legitimate help.
jimmiesmith

Postby Kennylooney » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm

I've done all their steps repeatedly and still have no data or MMS. Once you tell them that resetting your phone didn't work you get silence. The last thing I was told was that their "engineers" had to make a correction on their end and it should take about 24 hours...which will be in about an hour for me. Nothing will happen. I don't think they have a fix and just keep making us chase our tails rather than admit it. As I see it, 1/3 of my money is wasted since I'm not getting my unlimited data.
Kennylooney

Postby rodshere » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 pm

I see it as 1/2 since there's also no MMS capability at the moment.
rodshere

Postby rodshere » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:34 am

I seriously don't understand why we have to call to get the same scripted responses from ST customer service reps. It's as if someone doesn't want us to know what's really going on.
rodshere

Postby ST - Kyle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi rodshere. My name is ST - Kyle. Sorry that you’re having a problem. I’m going to try to help you now. We need to take this issue offline so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thanks.
ST - Kyle

Postby mindatlarge » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 am

Posting 5 messages so i can reply to the PM sent to me by a moderator. :) Hope all works out for you!
mindatlarge

Next

Return to Post your questions and get answers about talking and texting, and setting up voicemail with your Straight Talk.