NO DATA/MMS ON iPHONE 5 (FIXED///WHAT WORKED FOR ME)

Thank you for visiting the Straight Talk Forum, your one-stop resource for Straight Talk information.

NO DATA/MMS ON iPHONE 5 (FIXED///WHAT WORKED FOR ME)

Postby kuch » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Both of my Apple iPhone 5’s (purchased from Walmart and activated on 3/17/2013) are now receiving DATA/MMS, I’m sorry if yours isn’t. Maybe the information below will help you (or at least point you in the right direction). I do not work for Apple or Straight Talk.

Problem: After activation BOTH iPhones made calls and sent SMS texts fine but had no DATA/MMS. I received the following message upon the start of Safari (both phones): "you are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

I EMAILED THIS ADDRESS: ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com NOTE: I did not spam this email, and actually received prompt useful replies. I didn’t want to “Call” support because that option usually requires a bit of phone time. It was easier for me to send a message or reply to the email above…go to work and come home to see what their response was.

FIX: The Preferred Roaming List (PRL) numbers were changed (in both phones) from XXXXX to XXXXX on 3/13/2013 by Straight Talk (these settings are viewable on any iPhone under settings > General > About > Carrier (tap carrier)). After this happened, I received the following text: “Please call *22890 on your Straight Talk phone to update your roaming capabilities”. I also was re-directed to phone programming upon my first voice call. ONE of the two phones worked immediately after that sending and receiving DATA/MMS just fine. All the technical settings with the first cell were good to go, but the other phone’s the Network Access Identifier (NAI) and Mobile Station Identity (MSID) didn't match.

>I emailed customer support with the following:
(These settings are viewable on any iPhone under settings > General > About > Carrier)
iPod iPhone 5 (cell # 000-000-0000)
(Numbers below left intentionally blank, fill in your information)
Carrier: TFW 14.0
PRL: 00000
ERI: 0
NAI: 0000000000@vzw3g.com
MSID: 0000000000
>Can you please change the MSID to match the NAI for cell # 000-000-0000? Thank you for your time!

>I received a reply from customer support stating that there have been “some adjustments with the phone number 0000000000. At this point I want you to follow the instructions below. This is actually the same instruction that I gave you previously”.

>I replied with the following: “I'm sorry, but I didn't exactly follow your directions below after learning about the changes to my account. All I did was ensure my "Cellular Data Network" was turned on (WIFI turned off), Dial *22890, wait for the tower (TFW 3G) to reboot (in the top left hand corner) and that was it. I didn't reset and or even reboot the iPhone (this action isn't exactly necessary with the iPhone)”. iPhone #2 received the same text/voice prompt (stated above) and was now sending/receiving data just fine.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
>TFW in the upper left corner has never been an issue (through all the resets to include iTunes "restores"), the only time the phone(s) have ever displayed "TFW 13.1" was right after purchase (from Walmart) BEFORE doing the mandatory upgrade to iTunes iOS 6.1.2. as part of the activation process. From that point forth, (Carrier= TFW 14.0) is displayed in both phones.

>Many, many attempts have been made to reset, reboot, clear all data and settings, erase all data and settings, conduct fresh installs, change Access Point Name (APN) settings and I also tried *22890 and *22891 a dozen times. Nothing worked prior to Straight Talk changing my PRL (and with one phone…the PRL, NAI and MSID settings).

>These iPhone 5’s (purchased from Walmart) are model# A1429 (GSM and CDMA Model) and ARE NOT required to use SIM Cards for DATA/MMS services through Straight Talk.

>Almost every message/reply from Straight Talk has asked me to “preform a factory reset” (Settings> General> Reset> Erase All Content and Settings). After changes were made to my account; once again, all I did was ensure my "Cellular Data Network" was turned on (WIFI turned off), Dial *22890, wait for the tower (TFW 3G) to reboot (in the top left hand corner) and that was it.

>A List of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) terminology can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA_terminology
kuch

Re: NO DATA/MMS ON iPHONE 5 (FIXED///WHAT WORKED FOR ME)

Postby Tombstone » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:05 pm

THANKS for posting I will try this and see if it works.
Tombstone

Postby letitrain » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:44 pm

If only they would post the PRL that we all should use so we could just easily fix this on our own.
letitrain

Postby letitrain » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Did this fix your visual voicemail as well?
letitrain

Return to Welcome