Samsung S380C no text notifications

Samsung S380C no text notifications

Postby OMG! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 am

Hello, I recently purchased this phone and I can't get it to play a sound or vibrate when I get a text msg. The screen will flash for a second and it will show the little envelope at the top so I can see I have one, but no sound. I have tried everything I could think of. I have everything set up correctly. I have a tone assigned to all the msgs and they are turned on.My volume is turned on.I have seen a few other people with this problem.It may seem like a minor problem but the phone cost 60 bucks and shouldn't have this problem.Is there a fix for this?Hope someone can help.Thanks.
OMG!

Re: Samsung S380C no text notifications

Postby Stephanie_ST » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:27 am

Hi OMG! My name is Straight Talk Stephanie and I will be addressing your question. Please be advised that Samsung S380C phone does not have audio notification alerts for voicemail, SMS and MMS. Thanks!
Stephanie_ST

Postby OMG! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 am

Well, they should really put that on the information on the box.I bet most people wouldn't buy it.Why have a phone that doesn't notify you of an incoming msg?That's completely crazy.It could be a really great phone if it wasn't for that flaw.
OMG!

Postby napalm368 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:18 pm

I also have the exact same problem with this model phone. And no matter what i do settings wise,,it still does not work. No text alert sound..what can i do to fix this? because if i knew this i would have spent my cash on something else...Do i need to do a factory reset or something?(and how) Does anyone who owns this phone have text alerts?
napalm368

Postby mwclarke13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

Is a device/program defect, so instead of admitting it and replacement them they just say was never meant to have notification to do so although one phone I have seen did work. There is not a phone manf today that will not alert to text messages. I even got someone at tech support at Samsung saying that model should be able to do text messages but when inquired further he hesitated and said that I need to follow up with my provider.
So has not been long, walmart and straight talk refused to help at all, so disputing the charge on my credit card.
mwclarke13

Postby pennylane223 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 pm

I bought the Samsung s380c. Im kinda mad because theres things I definitely don't like. I should have stuck with my old cheap phone instead of spending money I don't have on this one. There is no noise, vibration... anything when you receive a text message. When you hit send for a text message on accident it says that it cancelled yet still gos through. Also... because the phone was $60 I had to get the $30 card because Im kinda broke. No where on the phone does it tell you how many minutes or text messages I have left. I am very disappointed with this phone and wish I had saved my money:(
pennylane223

Postby seriously?? » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:06 pm

That's funny because my wife bought this phone in February and it had a sound alert at first, then it didn't after a few days. She returned it to Wal-Mart and the wireless associate looked at the phone. It has the set-up for tone alerts for messages and the associate said it may be a software glitch
seriously??

Postby Bundy714 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Stephanie_ST wrote:Hi OMG! My name is Straight Talk Stephanie and I will be addressing your question. Please be advised that Samsung S380C phone does not have audio notification alerts for voicemail, SMS and MMS. Thanks!

What a piece of junk. This is 2013 and an audible alert when you get a text message is not a new, cutting edge feature. This is a basic feature of every phone made, well, except this one. I feel like I have been conned and swindled. I have gone through tech support with Samsung and Straight Talk and FINALLY someone says this phone just doesn't do that. What a waste of time and energy. You would expect that as soon as I told tech support my phones model number that I would have been told it doesn't give an alert when you get a text message, but no, lets waste everyone's time.
Bundy714

Postby tommyguns » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Samsung have you lost your collective mind? I just spent 60 bucks on a phone that is specially designed for text messaging and it has no message alert? This is pure genius! I think I'll buy a car with no drivers door next. Or maybe a house with no floor. Can anyone say, "BONEHEAD MOVE"? What was your goal? I mean,other than creating angry customers raging with frustration. Smooth move!
tommyguns

Postby Sh9518770364 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:50 pm

The answer here is simple and it is close to being a "bait and switch" type violation of the consumer protection act.

The Samsung S380c offered through Straight Talk does not do SMS, MMS or Vm notification. A call to Samsung indicates that this model does INDEED HAVE the capability to do notification. At the lowest levels this is obvious by the fact the the firmware on the phone DOES INDEED let you select ringtones for Text Notification. You find this by going to the menu and then selecting "settings" and then to "Sound Settings". In "Sound Settings" you find options for "1) Voice Calls" and then "2)Messages". After that you get an option to select sound settings for "Text Message". The "Text Message" menu gives you the ability to select a ringtone to use for the ringer type for text messages.

It can not be much more clear than that. The firmware on the phone DOES INDEED HAVE THE OPTION TO SET RINGTONES FOR TEXT (SMS) MESSAGES just as the manufacturer indicates. The problem is exactly as Samsung indicates also. The Straight Talk service, for undisclosed reason, does not alert the owner of the phone that text messages (SMS), multimedia messages (MMS) or voice mail (VM) has arrived. This, perhaps, is a cost saving issue by StraightTalk but the fact remains that the Samsung S380C has the capability to alert the owner to SMS, MMS and VM through it's firmware but StraightTalk, as a service, does not. Fot the company to say that the issue is the device is a total fabrication.

It goes a step worse than that. If you browse out to the phone from the StraighTalk Webstore, as of this date, you will NOT find any mention of SMS and MMS not being supported. Looking at other models you will find that they nowhere state that it IS supported and it is left to the owner to presume that this standard feature, to most all services, is also standard to the S380c. The bullet points for this model, in the StraightTalk Webstore description, actually DOES go so far as to say that "vibration alerts" are support. Nowhere is it ever disclosed that text message alerts are not support (it is key to note that this model replace an older Samsung model that DOES INDEED support SMS, MMS and VM notifications.

Several calls to StraightTalk support, on direct advice from Samsung for resolution, gives the owner only one solution. StraightTalk Support directs to return the phone to Wal-Mart for an exchange (which if you exchange for another S380C you do NOT fix the problem as it is NOT fixed...after all StraightTalk says it doesn't work so why do they tell you to exchange it) or exchange the phone for a model of higher price (a forced upgrade).

To me the issue is simple. The phone was sold under false pretenses and the proposed solution is to spend more money for a device I did not select. I have a strong notion, having been tech support for AT&T and Sprint, that the issue is the costs to StraightTalk for SMS, MMS and VM notifications. This seems to be a cost savings effort on the part of the service provider as it is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that the Samsung S380c does in fact HAVE the capability to deliver notifications. A few searches on Google will show you that.

After 4 years StraightTalk....really??? This is the only time in my cell phone history do I actually feel completely and purposely RIPPED OFF by a carrier and a call to the FCC, Better Business Bureau, Consumer Protection agencies might make me feel better. Or perhaps porting to another carrier.
Sh9518770364

Next

Return to Samsung