New iPhone 5 no Data or MMS

New iPhone 5 no Data or MMS

Postby nekstrom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

I recently bought a straight talk iPhone 5 from Walmart for my wife. It can talk and send text messages but it can't connect to the internet except over Wifi and MMS doesn't work at all. Is there a setting or something I need to install to fix this?
nekstrom

Re: New iPhone 5 no Data or MMS

Postby Elle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi nekstrom. My name is StraightTalk Elle. Sorry for your trouble. If you have the BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) iPhone, you will need to update the APN setting on the phone to be able to send or receive MMS and connect to the internet. You may click on the link below to update your APN settings. This link may not work based on limitations and configuration settings you may have on your iPhone. Please contact the manufacturer or point of purchase for further support regarding your phone. Your phone must be connected to Wi-Fi in order to continue.
1. While on Wi-Fi, open Safari and type in iapnupdate.straighttalk.com.
2. Tap Install.
3. Tap Install Now.
4. Enter your pass code if prompted.
5. Tap Done.
6. At this point you can exit your browser, turn off Wi-Fi, and re-boot your phone.
7. With Wi-Fi off, access Safari to ensure your data connection is working.
For more information about the service, please click on http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php.

If you have the StraightTalk Talk branded iPhone, please check if your phone’s main screen displays “TFW”. If not, we will need to perform a factory reset, which will erase any existing information on your phone. In this case, please back up the phone on iTunes and just make sure that it stays plugged into iTunes.
You can perform a reset by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. You will then need to reprogram the phone and restore backed up information from iTunes. Once completed, click on the pop up for “Download and Update”, then you should see the “Thank You” screen. After that, turn your phone off and on, then access your internet.

Let me know if it works. Thanks.
Elle

Postby kmarinouofm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:27 pm

good luck.. i hope it works out for u
kmarinouofm

Postby jlinn75 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:09 pm

can someone post their fixes..
jlinn75

Postby chrisslemon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:59 pm

I got all of that when I registered mine this morning, yet have the same problem bin trying to qualify for pm now so that I can get this fixed. It is understandably annoying.
chrisslemon

Postby qbe1313 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Is the reset a factory reset?
qbe1313

Postby tonidahran » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:33 pm

OK I can NOT figure out where/how to "post" anything to these forums other than a REPLY to someone else's post. I submitted what I THOUGHT was a post, but when I try to "view my posts", it says I have not posted anything. ANYWAY: does anyone know how to get a PERSON from StraightTalk to contact you regarding the ST iPhone 5 no data issue??? I've tried everything to get this $800 phone to work on the internet...with no luck. The phone even SAYS "TFW 3G" on the little bar at the top (and I have plenty of bars)...but it will not get online unless I'm on a wifi network. I tried resetting the network settings. Nothing. I'm running the latest software version (iOS 6.0.2). Doesn't matter. I tried calling customer support. LOL. After being transferred to 3 or 4 different people, I finally reached the right department. They said I should try turning the wifi off even thought I wasn't ON a wifi network at the time. Made no difference. I bought this phone DIRECTLY from Walmart/StraightTalk...no SIM switching or transferring of anything. I was already a ST customer. The ONLY thing I did was upgrade from a crappy ST phone to a ST iPhone 5, and I upgraded from the $30/month plan to the $45/month plan. If there are any "forum administrators" out there that are reading this post, may I suggest that you SHARE with the rest of us HOW TO FIX this issue?!? It's like it's some big secret...Just post a fix!
Once again: bought iPhone 5 DIRECTLY from Walmart with a $45/month ST plan. It is a STRAIGHTTALK iPHONE...it is NOT from another carrier. I am able to make/receive phone calls, but I can not do ANYTHING online unless I am logged on to a wifi network. Everything works great with wifi..but if I wanted a device with wifi capabilities only, I would've bought a new iPod. You pay for data=you get data. I do not feel that this is an unreasonable expectation.
tonidahran

Postby Puterman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:38 pm

The Walmart iPhone 5 I just bought does not have a SIM card since it is a CDMA phone evidently using the Verizon towers. Do the above instructions apply for this new phone? I cannot get internet access. All instructions I find in ST and on the internet deal with GSM phones tied into AT&T. Please help me connect this new phone to the internet.
Puterman

Repeating posts until it elicits a response???

Postby tonidahran » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:07 am

Exactly WHAT type of "participation" is required in order to get a RESPONSE of some kind on this forum?? What..do I have to sacrifice my first born child? Give you a kidney? WHAT?!
I spent EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS on an iPhone 5 that is SPECIFICALLY FOR STRAIGHT TALK. The DATA doesn't work. I'm PAYING for DATA, but I can't USE IT. I activated the phone, no problem. I finished setting the phone up via my wifi network..super. The internet works great on wifi..but the 3G data isn't working at all. It says TFW 3G in the upper left corner. But it doesn't work. I tried the APN settings update...didn't work. I called *22890...no help. I called customer service...what a joke.
After being on the phone with them multiple times today. After multiple attempts on their end to resolve this, they finally had me reset the phone. THAT didn't work. I know now why my posts aren't being POSTED for others to read.
tonidahran

Can NOT get a reply from a moderator.

Postby tonidahran » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:15 am

Exactly WHAT type of "participation" is required in order to get a RESPONSE of some kind on this forum?? What..do I have to sacrifice my first born child? Give you a kidney? WHAT?!
I spent EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS on an iPhone 5 that is SPECIFICALLY FOR STRAIGHT TALK. The DATA doesn't work. I'm PAYING for DATA, but I can't USE IT. I activated the phone, no problem. I finished setting the phone up via my wifi network..super. The internet works great on wifi..but the 3G data isn't working at all. It says TFW 3G in the upper left corner. But it doesn't work. I tried the APN settings update...didn't work. I called *22890...no help. I called customer service...what a joke.
After being on the phone with them multiple times today. After multiple attempts on their end to resolve this, they finally had me reset the phone. THAT didn't work. I know now why my posts aren't being POSTED for others to read.
tonidahran

Next

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general Straight Talk discussions.