How to track Mobile Date Usage on the Proclaim?

How to track Mobile Date Usage on the Proclaim?

Postby DrBrewhaha » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Has anyone found an app that will actually track to Mobile Data (not wifi) on the Proclaim? I've downloaded several apps (My Data Manager, Data Counter, and one other I can't remember) and they all track wifi but show a constant zero for mobile. Any help would be appreciated.
DrBrewhaha

Re: How to track Mobile Date Usage on the Proclaim?

Postby Stevo23 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:53 pm

I asked a similar question several months ago and was told there really is no real way without downloading an app to do it for you...
Stevo23

Postby reds1fan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm

I found one , I just tested it so have not really used it . Onavo Count it is free it found 25 apps using the 3g , I ran a test using speed test ( which is a program to test how fast your 3 g is , mine is slow :cry: but the a Onavo Count showed the app used 2MB during the test and also showed MSN messenger used 5KB and google services 3KB and some others , It also lets you restrict app from using 3G , this is good for people on limited plans but the Proclaim you service you get unlimited from straightalk anyways . you can set up a limit and have the app stop 3g usage before you get to a limit this only useful for people on other carriers paying high prices for limited 3g :lol:
reds1fan

Postby HarryNutz » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:08 pm

I hate to break it to you, but you do not get unlimited from ST. You get 2GB a month and if you go over that... they will warn you and if you do it a 2nd time (even by accident) they brick your phone. Oh and they also limit your data usage PER DAY, so even though you have 2GB a month of data... your only allowed to use 100MB of data per day or the same thing as above... warn once... brick phone. Kind of pathetic if ya ask me.. so ya don't use any data for almost an entire month, but you still can't use it all before the months over because of their stupid daily limit. Typical corporate thieves... you pay for data and should be allowed to use it at your own discretion. If I want use all my data in one day and then have to wait a month for more... then that should be my choice. If I don't use data one month... then the next month should be double... cause I PAID for that 2GB of data already.

So be VERY careful how much data usage ya use. Once Im back to work... Im gonna find a real carrier that gives TRUE unlimited and only throttle your speeds when you hit a certain amount. I wanted to use Google Maps to get me through my move but was afraid that STs silly ass daily restriction it could end up killing my phone, so now Im forced to use a less popular app. And don't expect too much help from these forums... 90% of my posts have gone unanswered and even multiple PMs sent to so called moderators who are suppose to be here to help you have also gone completely unanswered. Most people would probably benefit more by just using Google.
HarryNutz

Postby reds1fan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:09 pm

yes have heard 2 gb is limit so nothing broken here, The app I suggested is perfect because it allows you to restrict other apps to only using the WIFI , this is good because some apps do not need to be using the 3g data whenever the app feels like it , I have a golf game and mobisele notes and a bible app , that have no need to be accessing 3g but they do . I have not fully utilized this app but it is worth checking into so you can avoid the 2GB
reds1fan

Postby countryboy9799 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:47 pm

I tried a few that didnt work. It would track wifi but not the mobile data. The one that works on our 2 phones is 3g watchdog.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... hdog&hl=en
countryboy9799

Postby bseverson » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:54 pm

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... GNoZG9nIl0.

It does both 3g and wifi. works great!
bseverson

Postby DrBrewhaha » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Yes, I stumbled on 3G Watchdog as well and it does work unlike all of the other data tracking apps I've tried.

As to the 2GB/month and 100mb/day limits....I've heard these numbers before and heard about the penalties for going over but where is that documented? Is it is some contract fine print somewhere? And please don't tell me that some tech support person told you that was the case because I've quickly learned that the techies don't really (often) have a clue about how this work.
DrBrewhaha

Return to Samsung