Samsung S5 firmware update

Samsung S5 firmware update

Postby stsmgusr1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:55 am

I have a Straight Talk Samsung S5 SM-S902L that I bought about 18 months ago, the phone works Ok but could work better if the Android operating system was allowed to be updated.

a motor vehicle we have requires at least Android 5, my phone has android 4.4.2.

Had I known that Straight Talk did not update Android operating systems on their branded phones I would not have purchased it. Both my wife's and daughters Verizon Samsung S5 phones have Android 6 on them, the updates were pushed out by Verizon. My understanding is by not offering Android operating system updates you are leaving my phone open to hacks.

Since I purchased my phone from Walmart I have contacted them to let them know of my displeasure with a product they have sold me. When I get a response I intend to post it.

Samsung says Straight Talk needs to release any Android OS updates. Since I have seen some Straight Talk branded Samsung S5 phones that have Android 6 on them, how can I get the updates I need?
stsmgusr1

Re: Samsung S5 firmware update

Postby ST - Mark » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi stsmgusr1. My name is Straight Talk Mark and I will be addressing your question. Please be informed that you cannot upgrade the operating system of your phone such as going from Marshmallow to Nougat for Android, but you can update your phone's operating system once the updated version is available for you (Example: Marshmallow 2.3.3 to Marshmallow 2.3.6). Google will send notifications once an updated version of your phone's operating system is available. Thanks.
ST - Mark

Postby JDennis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Having the same problem. My wife and I bought 2 S6's. Hers has received updates to 6.x while mine hasn't received a single update.

I get the same nonsense about how we will receive updates when they come available from service reps I have contacted. When I ask them about my wife's updates they just steer the conversation back around and dodge the question....
JDennis

Postby shishkarobb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 pm

ST - Mark wrote:Please be informed that you cannot upgrade the operating system of your phone such as going from Marshmallow to Nougat for Android, but you can update your phone's operating system once the updated version is available for you (Example: Marshmallow 2.3.3 to Marshmallow 2.3.6).

My question is WHY aren't the operating systems upgradeable to other versions of Android? If the device can handle the newer system, why is it not allowed? I realize that there are ways to get around these blocks, but I shouldn't have to jailbreak my phone and void warranties to keep it up to date. I don't remember reading anything about that being a restriction on the box the phone came in or in the enclosed paperwork. Can you please explain this to me?
shishkarobb

Return to Samsung