Awful Data Speeds

Awful Data Speeds

Postby user2000 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:39 pm

My phone was working fine at work until recently - now my data speeds have gotten unbearably slow most of the time. I'm currently getting 2.1kbps with 4 bars of LTE at a signal strength of -85dBm (verified on both fast.com & the Speedtest app). My data speeds are generally OK in other locations. I'll occasionally get 1.5Mbps, sitting in the exact same place at work, but most of the time it's <40kbps.

I've already had my SIM replaced, rebooted the phone, reseated the new SIM, network mode & APN are OK, wifi & airplane mode are off, network settings were reset, data is enabled & roaming is off. The phone is an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 with a Straight Talk Verizon SIM. A coworker with a Verizon phone is getting 3 Mbps standing right next to me.

I've called Straight Talk support 4 times, and after waiting on hold for 15+ minutes, then going through the EXACT SAME troubleshooting steps each time, they either transfer me to a number that never answers or they just hang up. Web chat is about the same - after going through the script, they either disconnect, or they tell me I'll have to call in.

This is the absolute worst experience I've ever had with a carrier. Can anyone help me before I cancel?
user2000

Re: Awful Data Speeds

Postby ST - Larry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 am

Hi user2000. My name is Straight Talk Larry. I read your post and I am sorry you’re having some problems. We will check if your phone is properly provisioned in the system. Please check your forum inbox for a message. Click on "New Messages" beside User Control Panel to view your forum inbox. You may also text the key word HELP to 611611 to view our self-service menu with a list of help key words with valuable information. Thank you.
ST - Larry

Postby user2000 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Straight Talk Larry - the link in your PM takes me right to the same online chat that I've been having problems with.

I don't think you understand the problem here.
user2000

Postby ST - Larry » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:26 am

Hi user2000. I'm Straight Talk Larry. We apologize for the inconvenience. Kindly check your forum inbox for a message. You can use our self-service menu by simply texting the word HELP to 611611. Thank you.
ST - Larry

Postby user2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the offer for escalated support, but I finally got tired of waiting and switched back to a Straight Talk AT&T SIM.

I'm currently getting 11.4Mbps @ -107 dBm at work and couldn't be happier.
user2000

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general Straight Talk discussions.